global development delay or autism ???

winnie2007ukwinnie2007uk Member
edited August 2017 in 0-4 year olds

my 2 year old shows signs of autism but im still not sure .he as not had a diagnosis but the pedeatrition sent me a copy of a letter saying global development delay ,and the speech therapist sent a letter with complex communication disorder on it . he only talks in jargon ,he tip toes and flaps his arms while humming ,stares at his hands all the time ,still eats baby food as no imagination with toys but loves spinning the wheels,doesnt point at anything ,eats paper and smell everything ,but does give eye contact ,thats why im confused ,any advise would be grateful thank you.

Comments

• Chris ContactChris Contact Community Moderator

Hi @winnie2007uk and welcome to the community. We hope that you find it helpful and that other parents will share their experiences with you.

In the meantime you might like to have a look at our pages on global development delay. You can find those here -
    https://www.cafamily.org.uk/medical-information/conditions/g/global-developmental-delay/ and here -
    https://www.cafamily.org.uk/media/736645/developmental_delay_web.pdf

Take care
    Alex (Contact a Family)

• Hi all my daughter who's 4 was diagnosed with GDD in oct 2017 there x6 areas shes delayed or marked delay in she had grommets fitted juky 2016 had ear infec for 7mths due to this so had them removed last August, she's due to have hearing aids fitted Monday. She has seen speech language they have offered x4 1hr weekly sessions in school (she's in reception) then closing her case. She has lack of understanding repeats herself constantly wets herself doesn't wipe when used toilet so constantly sore, I'm really struggling with her I also have 3 other children at home all older who don't understand why she can't have a conversation and repeats etc paediatrician & speech have both recommended ed psychologist but school saying they don't know who is paying for the service her teacher now saying she's showing herself as very vulnerable and children are starting to take advantage. Only been in reception since sept and teacher needs to speak to me every eve, whole yr at nursery kept expressing my concerns all fell on deaf ears.....

• my 2 year old shows signs of autism but im still not sure .he as not had a diagnosis but the pedeatrition sent me a copy of a letter saying global development delay ,and the speech therapist sent a letter with complex communication disorder on it . he only talks in jargon ,he tip toes and flaps his arms while humming ,stares at his hands all the time ,still eats baby food as no imagination with toys but loves spinning the wheels,doesnt point at anything ,eats paper and smell everything ,but does give eye contact ,thats why im confused ,any advise would be grateful thank you.

• Hi, my son is 2.5 and he has a “possible diagnosis of autism” but it is a 8-11 month waiting list for the next stage. My son has had intermittent glue ear for 10 months and in the end we decided to go privately to have grommets fitted and adenoids removed. He is still not saying any words, and he doesn’t understand commands, he doesn’t point. If he wants anything he will lead us to the item by taking us by the hand to the item. He also does not imaginary play, and he likes spinning things, he loves water. I don’t really have any advice for you, but you are not alone and it’s would Be great if we could chat. A bit of a support goes a long way xx
  • LiliLili Member

my 2 year old shows signs of autism but im still not sure .he as not had a diagnosis but the pedeatrition sent me a copy of a letter saying global development delay ,and the speech therapist sent a letter with complex communication disorder on it . he only talks in jargon ,he tip toes and flaps his arms while humming ,stares at his hands all the time ,still eats baby food as no imagination with toys but loves spinning the wheels,doesnt point at anything ,eats paper and smell everything ,but does give eye contact ,thats why im confused ,any advise would be grateful thank you.hi 

• LiliLili Member
    Hi yes this is signs you must contact your brought and they will contact your child development or through your GP and then they will access him and child development will take over
  • Holly73Holly73 Member
    Hi, My daughter, now 10 yrs, was diagnosed with GDD aged 3, but then diagnosed with autism aged 5. The diagnosis of autism, in her case, has replaced the GDD. I have met a few people who's adult children have a GDD diagnosis, but most seem to be diagnosed with another condition as they get older. I think GDD is handed out to children when they are too young to be diagnosed with autism. 
    I'm not a professional but I think it's likely that your child will be given another diagnosis whey they are older. From your description he sounds very much like my daughter at that age. 
    Well done for getting on the track towards getting help and clarity, it takes time and will be challenging. Be kind to yourself, it will get easier.  I recommend pushing for an EHC Plan asap as they can take a long time to get in place and he may need support at school. Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes. (PS I was super lucky with a speech therapist who told me straight that my daughter was autistic, too many professionals have been trained to be vague)