School not meeting my son's needs as he as adhd

My son started high school this sept he receives 25 hr a week extra support which hended was doing well when in primary school how ever he is not receiving any thing near as much support as he requires and has being excluded on 2 occasion already and school are saying if he currys on he will be perfectly excluded ed. During a meeting with his head of year she told me he get the support anduring if I don't madicate him she can see his staying in mainstream education. (Which she has since retracted. He constantly in detention for tapping, fidgeting, answering back and sorting out (impulsivite) he has change timetabless on 3 times and dosn't have any stretched teat working with him the second has little or no awErnest of his condition and only became aware of his extremely funding when I took in the awarding letter which they copied so I copied and handed in all the background info regarding his condition but they still punishing him and it's taking a massive toll on his self esteem (what little he had) and preventing him from receiving the education he needs

Comments

• Hi kimkim21.

We’re sorry to hear things are so difficult at the moment – but we’re really pleased you feel able to ask us for support and comfort.Lots of other community members may have similar experiences – so they may be able to offer their suggestions.

You may also find it helpful to look at https://contact.org.uk/advice-and-support/education-health-social-care/education/

We hope this helps a little and you find the support you need here.

Take care,
    Alex

• pink24pink24 Member
    Have you contacted the person that diagnosed your son ? My daughter has not been diagnosed with adhd yet and been battling since she was 4 1/2.She is now 12 and psychiatrist has medicated her for adhd but for some silly reason not diagnosed.It is obvious to me even with asd and PDA traits 
  • FennoFenno Member, Moderator

kimkim21 said:

My son started high school this sept he receives 25 hr a week extra support which hended was doing well when in primary school how ever he is not receiving any thing near as much support as he requires and has being excluded on 2 occasion already and school are saying if he currys on he will be perfectly excluded ed. During a meeting with his head of year she told me he get the support anduring if I don't madicate him she can see his staying in mainstream education. (Which she has since retracted. He constantly in detention for tapping, fidgeting, answering back and sorting out (impulsivite) he has change timetabless on 3 times and dosn't have any stretched teat working with him the second has little or no awErnest of his condition and only became aware of his extremely funding when I took in the awarding letter which they copied so I copied and handed in all the background info regarding his condition but they still punishing him and it's taking a massive toll on his self esteem (what little he had) and preventing him from receiving the education he needs

Hi kimkim - sorry to hear about your son's experience at school. It would be good to talk through your concerns and get some practical advice about the schools/LA's duties, and the best way to approach the school and challenge what is happening. Contact has education advisers on their helpline, you can call free on 0808 808 3555, and press option 1

https://contact.org.uk/advice-and-support/our-helpline/

• You can apply direct to your local council for an EHCP nothing worked for us until we had that ( sorry if you already have one) With an EHCP ( educational health care plan) which is backed by an act of parliament you can plan with the school your son's educational needs as well as health too. 
    We applied and did this ourselves local authorities are more open to parents seeking an EHCP than schools organisations etc . 
    Armed with an EHCP the education school etc can receive funding but more importantly you can enter into the written plan all your sons needs and requirements at school and the school must follow the plan and assist as you will have a meeting to set this up. 

The EHCP which can be altered reviewed annually also if a school or college fails in this you can report this to the local authority who will take action as the EHCP is a legal requirement and backed in law. 

Our daughter was excluded bullied and mistreated by her school resulting in attempted suicide before we got this in place and it has made a massive difference.