Help me please

Hi everyone.

I really need help on what to do.

Firstly I have a 7 yr old son who has autism. Well hes 8 in 2 months.

He was diagnosed in May 2015 and was currently attending nursery setting.

This is a question about education.

He started reception in September 2015

In October 2015 after numerous visits off a EARLY YEARS SENIT, STARS team, SENCO and new class teachers they finalist a report.

Please read this properly as i need help.


Also I have EYFFI early years fundinding for inclusion.

Yr 1 and 2 came round and all I get is target sheets that says sen support plan at the top.

WI'vee are now yr 3 n ive received 1 support plan target sheet all year.

My son is really struggling and the SENCO has put it off and off. They havnt applied for extra funding all these years as they stated to me, they are worried that L.A. will come out and lower it to where he could get nothing. They have All said he needs more help but not enough funding. The previous SENCO has quit because she couldn't handle everything. A new SENCO is in and with the lead practioner they are staying in paper my boy is doing amazing but told me by voice hes not.

Be aware though that hes doing that fantastic they've had to make a referal back to STARS. And bring his speech therapist back In, as they was trying to save on money and putting there hand in there pocket. Baring in mind, his funding award was to have speech and language every 2 weeks. They removed all his things off him due to lack of funding I.e. workstation in quiet area, intensive interaction, time out tent, fidget toys, they taken his TA off him from having one full time in reception to yr 3 having her half an hour, they removed visual timetable and award charts, visual cue cards. But now referral has been made to stars, all these things they removed are slowly to creep back in. They will not admit they were wrong n he needs help. It will be bad name for their school. I can't prove nothing either evan tho ive documented everything they've said. My word is nothing unfortunately. He's to be dragged to school, meltdowns, self harming his hands and small violence to me. All due to him hating school. He's now stimming too.

So the help I need is...

I believe he needs an EHC plan.

School and SENCO will pretend that he's fine and will not help. He will not cope in main stream high school as he's struggling now at primary. The old SENCO before quitting said she would help get him into a autism school but now she's quit I dont no what the new one will do.

Help... I'm not very clued up on paperwork and big words etc ECT and rights.

What does my son currently have? Support plan, IEP, or due to the new act law will it be a EHCP or have they not bothered to transfer. I really don't understand. How do i go about get a EHCP.?

They no I'm not very brainy but i have a friend who's helped me understand loads. She also has autism child same school. Please somebody help me....

Can't wait to here from you all



  • Elp is different to a echp. The echo with stay with your son right till the end of his education and get changed every year to meet his needs.You can apply for a echp yourself or you can ask the school to do it for you. If you go on the internet and search it it should come up on the .Gov sites. I did one for my son it took a few months but we have finally got there, they're not hard to do so don't be put off and you can appeal against any decision and have a lot more input if you do it yourself. I have read through all of it but from the looks of things from what I read your not getting a great deal off support. I recommend you contact a team called diass and again you can find there number on the internet they can offer support over the phone and even come to your home and school for meetings to ensure the school is doing everything possible to help your son with his difficulties this people help me with my son with asd 
  • FennoFenno Member, Community Moderator
    Hi jbautismaware11
    My name is Angie, I work at Contact. 

    It sounds like your son is receiving school based support, officially known as SEN support. Each mainstream school in England should publish an SEN information report on their website that explains how they identify and support children with SEN in their school. School based support plans can have different names dependng on the school. EHC plans are for children that need more help than the school can provide from their resources. They are legal documents. As you believe your son needs more help through an EHC plan - you can make a parental request for an EHC needs assessment - the first step towards trying to secure an EHC plan. The request for an EHC assessment can come from the school or you can make a parental request. The request goes to the local authority not the school. Contact has information online about making a parental request as well as information about EHC assessments and EHC  here:
    You can also call us on the Contact helpline on 0808 808 3555 and press option 1 to talk this through with an education adviser, we are open in August. Each local authority in England must also provide a local information, advice and support service for families of children with SEND. You can find your local service here:

    I hope this helps, as emma121e4 has said, it can a challenge and takes time to get a plan for your child, but the first step is the EHC assessment request, then take it a step at a time, Contact is here to help. 

Sign In or Register to comment.