Benefit system - refused Universal Credit

Hello all, I have just heard about this community and thought I must get involved.

My son has ASD and is almost 19. He is attending college doing a skills for life programme and receives PIP.

I applied for UC in January and he has been refused because:

He lives at home with parents
He is in full time education
He receives child benefit 

Child benefit said they would only stop once he was awarded UC. I have asked UC for a mandatory consideration, I have been told that there is no timescale for outcome and it will take as long as takes. Has anyone experienced this? Apparently my son is entitled to no other benefits.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Contact Helpline TeamContact Helpline Team Member, Community Moderator

Hi @NadeneM

Welcome to the community. I hope you find support from other parents here in community.

I saw your post and asked a colleague from the family finance team to review it and provide a response.  

They have replied that of the three reasons that you were given for your son being refused Universal Credit, two of these are invalid:

-          It makes no difference that your son lives at home. Universal Credit can be claimed by young people who still live with their parents.  

-          Having a Child Benefit award, does not stop your son from getting Universal Credit. Instead, if he’s awarded Universal Credit this will bring your Child Benefit award to an end. If you are getting Child Tax Credit payments for your son, or payments for him as a dependent as part of your own Universal Credit claim, those payments will also stop if he gets Universal Credit in his own right. Because of this some families are better off not claiming Universal credit for their child and continuing to get payments for them as a child instead such as tax credits. Whether a claim by your son for Universal credit will leave your household better or worse off will depend on your individual family circumstances.

The fact that your son is still in education is an issue for his Universal Credit claim. The general rule is that claimants who are ‘receiving education’ cannot be entitled to Universal Credit. An exception applies where a disabled student is in receipt of either DLA or PIP and also has a limited capability for work. The problem is that while your son may get Personal independence Payment he has not yet established that he has a limited capability for work. This will require him to first be put through a medical assessment known as the work capability assessment by the Department for Work and Pensions. Often it can take several months for this assessment to be completed and in the meantime your son will not meet the qualifying conditions for Universal Credit.

Our helpline receives a lot of enquiries from parents whose young people have difficulty with Universal Credit claims. We have developed a fact sheet for parents: Claiming Universal credit for a young disabled person. If you still have any questions after reading through the factsheet you can get in touch with our helpline: https://www.contact.org.uk/advice-and-support/our-helpline/

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Angie