Changing schools whilst EHCP is being ceased

Hi I am hoping someone may have some advice on our situation.  My sons school have said they would like his EHCP to cease and have done a good job of convincing SENAT.  Since our annual review things have deteriorated at his school and his mental health is being severely affected causing daily violent meltdowns. We have potentially found a lovely caring school that have a space for him. Does anyone know if SENAT can stop us moving him asap? It is now urgent and they just don't respond to communications with any kind of urgency.  Please help, from a heart broken mummy.

Comments

• Chris ContactChris Contact Community Moderator
    Hello @MrsBW , I am sorry to hear your son is having such a difficult time at school. Although the school may feel your son no longer requires an EHC plan, it is not a quick or simple process to cease an EHC plan. Before deciding to end the EHC plan, SENAT must consider whether your son still has special educational needs, whether he still requires special educational provision and whether he needs more time to achieve the in his EHC plan. We have more information about this on our website: https://contact.org.uk/advice-and-support/education-learning/ehc-plans-assessments/change-in-circumstances/. There is a possibility that you can move your son to the school you have found however, this will depend on where you are in the annual review process and evidence that your son requires this school/that his current school are not meeting his needs. In order to give specific advice, it would be useful to get more information from you. Please call our free helpline on 0808 808 355 to speak to an education adviser. The helpline is open between 9.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday. Best Wishes, Rachel,Parent Adviser